Thursday, January 24, 2013

Aloha!

I am back home in Honolulu, where the weather is warm and the sun is shining.  Toward the end of my stay in Seoul, the weather was so cold that I didn't want to stay outside for very long (18-30 degrees!).  I am very glad to be back, although, I really miss Seoul now that I have had a chance to experience it.

During my first few days back, I have experienced a culture shock.  I didn't remember what it was like to ride in a car, grocery shop, or go to restaurants. Interacting with American people was also a "new" thing - I didn't have to try to speak in Korean.

Visiting the temples, palaces, mountains, and going to the DMZ are experiences that I will never forget.  I saw the struggles that Koreans have had to endure throughout history and learned about their traditions.  They have come a long way since the Korean War, and are able to balance their modernization while still maintaining their cultural values.  

One thing that I miss the most about Seoul is the efficient transportation.  Anyone could get to wherever they need to go via the subway, and didn't have to worry about driving, traffic, or parking.  Now that I am back to the land of traffic, I have come to appreciate the subway system.  I will also miss the convenience of shopping in Seoul.  Everything one may need is simply sold by a street vendor along the nearest main street.  The vendors sell everything from food to clothes, and even accessories for very affordable prices.

Most importantly, I will miss all the friends that I have made throughout this incredible journey.  We have made great memories together and created friendships that will last a lifetime.  They have helped me to broaden my horizons on views of cultures and the way I see the world.  I am so grateful to have met all them.  Again, none of this would have been possible without the help of the Freeman Scholarship, and I am also extremely thankful to Mr. Freeman and Mrs. Freeman, for without them, none of this would have been possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment